A couple I once knew had a memorable experience involving mushrooms, up close and personal. They went out mushroom picking with friends in the rainforests near Olympia, Washington. That night, they prepared a fancy meal that included the mushrooms they harvested.
After dinner, they sat around the table exclaiming how wonderful the freshly-harvested mushrooms tasted. Suddenly, they noticed the family cat had jumped onto the counter and eaten a little of the mushroom sauce. She immediately began to vomit.
The dinner guests looked at each other with horror. When they picked the mushrooms, they weren’t sure of the exact species. Even when you look at mushrooms up close they can be difficult to identify. If you eat the wrong type, it might kill you.
Out of an abundance of caution, they decided to go to the hospital. Everyone had their stomach pumped in case the mushrooms were poisonous.
When they returned home, they were surprised to find the cat with a litter of newborn kittens. The cat wasn’t sick from poisoning—the vomiting was due to her labor.
At the time it happened they decided to err on the side of caution, but later, they thought their reaction was pretty funny. 😀
15 thoughts on “Mushrooms up close – A true story: Macro Monday & OLWG”
You are definitely in the running for “Most Creative Use of the Prompt” award.
Thanks for playing along.
Thanks! 😁 It was a good prompt for that story.
Omg! It’s great they had a good sense of humor about it all. ☺
Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny!
So awesome mushrooms and nice photography 👌🌷🙏
So welcome 🙏🏼🌹❤️
So welcome 🙏 🌷
Laughing out loud !
But on another note, have you seen Fantastic Fungi on Netflix ? Fabulous, I just watched it last night.
Glad you liked the story. 😁 No, I haven’t seen the Netflix show. I’ll check it out.
So glad they played it safe and this story had a happy ending for the cat too 🧡🐈
Yeah, I probably would have done the same thing. Glad their cat had kittens, not poisoning from the mushrooms.
Great story! I’m pleased it had a happy ending both for people and cat 🙂
Oh my goodness Siobhan, I laughed out loud at this one. Here I thought the cat had saved their lives!!! Excellent story.
Thanks, Tina! A strange but true tale…